Try these French recipes!
- Thin pancake batter
- or powdered sugar
- prepare a thin pancake batter.
- Cook in a crêpe pan.
- Flip and roll with jelly, butter, or powdered sugar.
Langue Du Chat (Cat's Tongues)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract, or lemon rind
- 3/4 cup flour
- Cream together 1/2 cup butter with 1/2 cup white sugar.
- Add 1 egg, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract, or lemon rind.
- Beat in 3/4 cup flour into mixture.
- Drop cookies onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375%F for about 6 minutes.
- These delicate buttery cookies will have slightly browned edges.
- 5 egg whites
- Pinch of cream of tartar (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
- 1 cup of sugar
- Food coloring or sugar sprinkles
- Separate 5 egg whites and beat until frothy.
- Add a pinch of cream of tartar (optional) and 1/2 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract.
- Slowly add about 1 cup of sugar until the batter is stiff and shiny. (Depending on the humidity, more or less sugar is required to make the egg whites stiff. Use less rather than more.)
- Add food coloring or sugar sprinkles.
- Drop into little mounds on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 250°F for about an hour.
- Serve á la mode (with ice cream or fruit) or eat plain.
- Enjoy these elegant, inexpensive, and fun French treats!
Les Pommes des Tartes (Apple Tarts)
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teapsoon salt
- 10 apples
- Additional Sugar and lemon juice
- Prepare a crust by creaming 3/4 cup butter with 1/3 cup sugar.
- Add 1 egg, 2 cups flour, and _ teaspoon salt.
- Press dough into a pie pan.
- Chill for several hours.
- Peel and slice 10 apples.
- Sprinkle with sugar and lemon juice.
- Arrange apple slices in circles in the curst.
- Bake at 350°F until apples are slightly soft and crust is golden brown.
Galette des Rois (Cake of Kings)
- double all ingredients for Cat's tongues
- Double the recipe for Cat's tongues
- Bake 2 large pie-shaped cookies.
- Spread one cookie with sweetened almond paste.
- Tuck a féve (tiny porcelain figure, raisin, or bean) somewhere in the paste.
- Then place the second cookie on top of the first.
- Cut and serve.
- Whoever gets the féve should be crowned king or queen of the party.
Pain au Chocolate (Bread with Chocolate)
- Chocolate Chips
- Buy croissants, fresh or frozen.
- Insert chocolate chips
- Heat until chocolate is melted.
- Or take a baguette, and spread melted chocolate on it.
Milliken Publishing Company
© Copyright 1998, Mississippi State University (website)
© Copyright 1998, Mississippi University for Women (Teachers' Guide text)
Last modified: Wednesday, 28-Oct-98 12:14:48